Friday, March 7, 2008

The Whole Catastrophe



My move from a loved, 1840s, 6ooo sq ft, 16 room inn to a basement apartment in a split level ranch triggered the most excruciating aesthetic shock in an otherwise rather happy story. Instead of a fireplace in every room, original wide floorboards, high ceilings, and sunshine through wavy-glassed original window panes, here the small rooms are dark, stark, and Pergo-floored. The largest room has only one window--looking out to what would be a view of mountain woods, if it weren't under a deck. 

Before moving here three years ago, I got rid of about half my household stuff by giving most of it to family and friends and then filling several dumpsters. The remainder of loved things I crammed into this apartment in as orderly a fashion as I could. I learned to move about by jimmying myself sideways between the furniture. And I wept, adopted atheism, became a nihilist for good measure, read Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, and Saint John of the Cross, and went to bed for three months.

When I got up, it was spring. Thawed waters crashed down through the mountain's gullys, does picked their way through the woods with their fawns behind them, life spread open all its beautiful fans, and my esprit returned. Long a reader of Apartment Therapy, I embraced their 2007 Spring Cure. I read Maxwell's book and plunged into the project like someone hurtling down the Niagra Falls. I worked and strove, and at the end of the cure, I'd gotten rid of yet more furniture (to family, friends), and banished more than half of the books I had culled for the move in the first place.  At AT, the cure formally ended , but I struggled on, and by the end of summer I'd accomplished the hell you see in these photographs:

kitchen
Note pointless, warped, formica counter, extended on and
 on with nothing beneath it . . . except transient stuff


LR
A corner of what was the sitting room,
because the living room was then the bedroom.




LR from hall
What is this room? There's a bed in it somewhere; a two-burner 
antique iron stove thing; and some piano innards. If that helps.





5 comments:

louise said...

Hi Karen,
What a story and beautifully written. I look forward to working with you to bring color back into your life! Every space has its defining moment, it just hasnt been found yet,
Louise

Alana in Canada said...

Thank you so much for sharing your persepctive--though what a dry dusty word that is for something you've written with such life. I'm grateful to you for "revealing yourself" and starting a blog.

I'm cleaning out my basement this cure. It seems our tasks will be similiar--you get to fling around some paint in transformational joy and I'll be flinging boxes.

Au said...

Alana, I looked at all your Flikr pictures and fainted away. You are doing so much! I certainly hope your courage is contagious! Let's both fling away. . . .

scb said...

I wandered here from Alana's blog. Thank you for sharing your story -- it is going to be a wonderful journey to follow your progress through the Spring Cure. I have a feeling that wonderful things are going to happen in your space!

Au said...

drgteh6yjkk67ko7