Friday, March 14, 2008

Tale of the Enigmatic Solarium

The largest room in my space is the deepest and darkest, almost buried in the side of the mountain. I wanted to put high windows at the south end of it, looking out at the woods and bringing in sunshine. Alas, this would mean bulldozers and back hoes and a king's ransom. The gloom of the space  seeped into my heart at this disappointment.

Then one day I was wandering around outside, and I came upon the great pile of steel window sashes, stolen by a friend from a broken down old Hudson River mansion and given to me.  Each weighs about a hundred pounds. Clearly, manipulating them into a wonder was beyond me.

My friend Jeff responded at once to my call, drove his giant truck down from Mountainville, and turned the steel sashes into a solarium in the darkest corner of my darkest room. All the creative juices of life flow through this man's veins.

Now all that remains is for me to tart up his architecture. Oh, and add the sun . . . .


Hey, I said it was dark . . .

6 comments:

Today: In Seven said...

Stumbled in and just wanted to say hi. I love how you write. I also like what your wrote for your profile description.

I would like to invite you to leave a comment on my blog. At my blog I ask people to tell me about their day in seven words or less. Just leave me a comment with your seven words, you can do it anonymously. If you'd rather not, then have a nice day.

http://todayinseven.blogspot.com

Alana in Canada said...

This is exciting!

Alana in Canada said...

I just clicked on the larger picture--and it reminds me of a snug. A transparent snug, but I loved those little rooms in the pubs.

thefarmersdaughter said...

I too have wandered here- first from Alana- also from SCB.

I have enjoyed what you have written so much so far. I can't wait to hear what happens next. I am glad you are on this journey and are sharing it with us!

Au said...

You mean one of those pub rooms where a bunch of friends can jam in together and fill it up? What a great name for it, a snug!

Au said...

lorilo, are you doing the cure, too?