Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How?

I walked around the garden this morning to rev myself up and perhaps to start raking and burning. There was still a sparkle of frost on the dead sticks and leaves. Everything in sight was dead, except for:


and



The sedum cutting I stuck in the crack of an old stump two years ago is growing. The parsley that's frozen and thawed a hundred times over the winter is growing.  Neither the stump crack nor the few dead leaves are enough to insulate them from the frost. And if I picked them and put them into the freezer, they'd freeze and then thaw into mush.

How can this be, damnit?



2 comments:

Alana in Canada said...

I have no clue, but it sure is nice to see some green--the sedum especially is just lovely. I wonder if any would grow for me?

Au said...

Well, Alana, I left you an answer, but it disappeared.

sigh

Yes, absolutely you could grow sedum, as long as you have some direct sun. The two main joys of sedum are: 1) they spread like crazy, and you can rip up handfuls and plant them somewhere, too; 2) there are more varieties and sizes of sedum than God alone could number.